Kathmandu, January 26
January has turned out to be an unfavourable month for the national campaign Visit Nepal 2020. Recent incidents of tourist bus accident, avalanche in the Annapurna region, death of Indian tourists and recent announcement made by the Chinese government to halt outbound tourists have become major setbacks for the yearlong campaign.
The campaign had already been criticised earlier for not making enough preparations and now one drawback after another is being considered a bad beginning for the campaign.
On January 17, two people were killed and 29 injured when a tourist bus carrying Chinese tourists hit a truck at Sauraha of Chitwan district. On the same day four Koreans went missing from Deurali area in Kaski district after an avalanche triggered by heavy snowfall hit the trail along the Annapurna trekking circuit.
And on January 25, China Tourism Association announced that all outbound tourist groups will be halted from the next day in order to prevent the coronavirus from spreading. Likewise, it said that overseas flights and hotel bookings through travel agencies will also be suspended.
As China is the second largest market of tourists for Nepal this announcement is likely to hit the VN 2020. The Chinese Lunar New Year, which began from Saturday, sees a large number of Chinese tourists travel across the world during this time.
Hence, the announcement is going to hit the target of VN 2020 campaign as China is the major market for Nepali tourism sector, said Ashok Pokharel, president of Nepal Association of Tour Operators (NATO).
“There is no certainty on when the coronavirus outbreak is going to be contained,” he said. “So, at least for the VN 2020 campaign all stakeholders including the government have to make a quick dec